Home

Friday, July 22, 2011

Day 1

One of the best days of my life.
After completing our first full day in Uganda, I believe I can speak for my team when saying it was amazing. After waking up from our restless, jet-lagged, but much appreciated sleep, we had a lovely morning orientation. As we sat out on the veranda with eggs and toast filling our plates we opened our hearts and minds to all that is Uganda. God is simply so evident here. Everything. Everything seems to sing His name. I cannot wait to experience all that He has in store for us. A very good piece of advice one of my closest friends said to me before leaving was "Let Gods love wash over you. Just soak it all in." My prayer for this journey is that my team and I can do just that. I believe that with God's love in ones heart there is simply no way to not share it with others which is exactly what I think we are here for.
We headed to Rock of Ages School around 10 a.m. and the dirty work began. When I say the dirty work I do mean that literally. We began with shoes. Passing shoes out to around 130 children could have been somewhat overwhelming but I am speaking only the truth when I say it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Although we passed out shoes last year there was just something about yesterday that put such a joy in my heart I could have easily broken into tears. Removing familiar but now ratty shoes from the children's feet (many were wearing shoes we had given them last year) and placing new, clean, and correctly sized shoes on their feet was more of a blessing to me then I think to them. As I pulled fresh socks over their small feet and gently massaged them, smiles as wide as can be arose from their little faces. When I placed the new shoes on, grabbed another pair from the extra pile when the size was off, and tied them snuggly to their feet, a happiness overflowed from somewhere deep inside me. Best way to physically describe it was, I had the tingles all over. Goose bumps in the dead heat. God is so good and I often forget that.
After a long and hard days work we headed back to the compound and took some downtime. After showers and some rest we headed over to Sera's Caring Place for some fellowship and introductions to her boys. I have missed them so much! How they have grown! I didnt recognize half simply because they are now as tall if not taller then me and many because they are new. A few of the Dove Voice Boys sang for us to open our worship time and then one of the girls who we are also sharing the compound with spoke. After her one of the Dove Voice Boys also gave a message. I never cease to be amazed by watching others who are close to my age speak the words of the Lord. I admire them so much. I know many dont see this but I dont think I could stand in front of a crowd and speak that way. Give me a speech, directions to be given, or have me do an introduction, okay. But speaking from the heart. That is a whole new ballgame.
I am a bit behind on my blogging so I apologize for that. I will do my best to get caught up for to the actual day. Thank you all for your love and support. I will write again tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment